Representing Nuffield, Huntercombe & Oakley Wood
The ancient Parish of Nuffield is located in the beautiful Chiltern hills between Henley on Thames and Wallingford.
The Norman Church of the Holy Trinity is probably the oldest building in the Parish. Some masonry from this period survives on the south side of the nave. In the 14th century the Church was rebuilt and the north aisle was added. The Gothic Revival architect Benjamin Ferrey restored the chancel in 1845.
The main road (A4130) runs from Henley-on-Thames to Wallingford on the northern side of the Parish, it was made into a turnpike in 1736 (ceasing in 1873).
Huntercombe Hall is situated on the northern side of the Parish and is an Edwardian era Tudor style house designed by Oswald Milne, a former assistant to the Arts & Crafts Movement architect Edwin Lutyens and completed in 1910. Huntercombe Hall is now a care home.
Nuffield Place (formerly Merrow Mount) completed in 1914 and purchased by Lord Nuffield in 1933 when it was renamed. Lord Nuffield had the house enlarged and lived there until his death in 1963 and is buried at the Holy Trinity Parish Church. Nuffield Place was bequeathed to Nuffield College but is now in the ownership of the National Trust and was reopened to the public in April 2012. Access is by tickets with timed visits to prevent the modest house becoming overloaded with visitors, preventing enjoyment of the home of one of the founders of the British motor industry.
In the centre of the Parish is Huntercombe Golf Club. Designed and built in 1901 by Willie Park junior, the course was heralded and being one of the finest 'inland' links in the country. Willie was a renowned golfer winning the Open Championship in 1887 and 1889 after which he became a credited golf course designer. The rolling countryside, gorse bushes and brisk breezes coming up the Chiltern hillside proved a very enjoyable place to play golf. Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, was also a member and had James Bond playing the infamous Goldfinger on the course in the book of the same name.